Jurgen Appelo calls himself a creative networker. But sometimes he's a writer, speaker, trainer, entrepreneur, illustrator, manager, blogger, reader, dreamer, leader, freethinker, or… Dutch guy. Since 2008 Jurgen writes a popular blog at www.noop.nl, covering the creative economy, agile management, and personal development. He is the author of the book Management 3.0, which describes the role of the manager in agile organizations. And he wrote the little book How to Change the World, which describes a supermodel for change management. Jurgen is CEO of the business network Happy Melly, and co-founder of the Agile Lean Europe network and the Stoos Network. He is also a speaker who is regularly invited to talk at business seminars and conferences around the world. After studying Software Engineering at the Delft University of Technology, and earning his Master’s degree in 1994, Jurgen Appelo has busied himself starting up and leading a variety of Dutch businesses, always in the position of team leader, manager, or executive. Jurgen has experience in leading a horde of 100 software developers, development managers, project managers, business consultants, service managers, and kangaroos, some of which he hired accidentally. Nowadays he works full-time managing the Happy Melly ecosystem, developing innovative courseware, books, and other types of original content. But sometimes Jurgen puts it all aside to spend time on his ever-growing collection of science fiction and fantasy literature, which he stacks in a self-designed book case. It is 4 meters high. Jurgen lives in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) -- and in Brussels (Belgium) -- with his partner Raoul. He has two kids, and an imaginary hamster called George. Jurgen has posted 145 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

The 12 Best Books I Read in 2012

01.23.2013
What would we do without “Best Of” lists at the end of the year? I have been playing World of Goo because I found it on a list of Best Android Games. Soon I will be checking out the list of best restaurants in Brussels. And I’m writing this post while listening to the annual Top 2000 on Dutch radio.

So here’s my contribution to the long list of of lists. These are the 12 best non-fiction books I read this year

Stumbling on Happiness – Daniel Gilbert

This book not only has a huge number of references to scientific literature, but also an ample supply of humor.

Tribal Leadership – Dave Logan, et al.

I might not agree with the linearity of the staged model proposed here, but the stories and insights are great.

Predictably Irrational – Dan Ariely

Again, a book full of scientific references, which all indicate that human beings make irrational economic choices.

Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure – Tim Harford

The message in this book is no surprise to anyone familiar with Agile thinking, but the stories in the book are good.

What Matters Now – Gary Hamel

The latest offering of the number one management guru in the world. It is hard to disagree with anything he says.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts… Susan Cain

A surprise read for me, and others. It made me feel happy that I don’t have to apologize for being an introvert.

Resonate: Present Visual Stories… Nancy Duarte

One of the best books for anyone doing presentations, with a heavy emphasis on storytelling and visualization.

Business Model Generation – Alexander Osterwalder, et al.

The best looking business book in the world. It may not be a surprise that there were Dutch people involved…

SuperFreakonomics – Steven D. Levitt, et al.

Great overview of statistics, and the silly ways in which people are fooled by them, with plenty of humor on top.

The Fractal Organization – Patrick Hoverstadt

Another surprise read for me. One of the few books with a very good application of complexity thinking to business.

The Magic of Reality – Richard Dawkins

This is actually a children’s book, but who cares? The illustrations are wonderful, and still I learned new things.

The Web of Life – Fritjof Capra

This is another great book on complexity science and its implications for business and management.

If you think I missed an important one, feel free to add it in the comments section.

Published at DZone with permission of its author, Jurgen Appelo. (source)

Comments

Badan Singh replied on Sat, 2013/04/06 - 7:27am

Find the cheapest business electricity prices online today. Compare all commercial energy rates and tariffs. Call 0845 388 1828.Please click this link more details: business electricity rates uk

The Fat Burn Doctor: Raise Your Metabolism, Burn Fat, And Keep Eating The Foods You Love. This site is a leading resource for information about the Dr. Nick Galante Fat Burn Doctor PDF book and metabolic conditioning weight loss system that helps your body get rid of fat for a sexy, toned, head-turning physique. Includes a collection of Nick Galante Fat Burn Doctor reviews, PDF ebook download information, and tips for losing belly fat from around the web. Please click this LINK: the fat burn doctor

Junio Mousull replied on Mon, 2013/05/20 - 6:04pm

Javascript accordians have been used a lot in todays web design world. There are a lot of scripts we have seen and sure you too would have seen them. We hope our script is one of the smallest accordion script which is extremely simple and easy to integrate. With suplementos importados and oxyelite pro

Junio Mousull replied on Mon, 2013/05/20 - 6:07pm in response to: Badan Singh

Junio Mousull replied on Tue, 2013/05/21 - 9:37am

ATACADO DE ROUPAS with taref in php.
See MySQL: resource mysql_query ( string $query [, resource $link_identifier ] ) Microsoft SQL: mixed mssql_query ( string $query [, resource $link_identifier [, int $batch_size = 0 ]] ) PostgreSQL: resource pg_query ([ resource $connection ], string $query ) Oracle Database: bool oci_execute ( resource $statement [, int $mode = OCI_ COMMIT_ON_SUCCESS ] )

Junio Mousull replied on Tue, 2013/05/28 - 4:50pm

Still, while our PR expert admits that "the state of the industry is changing away from the kinds of movies [Hanks has] been associated with acompanhantes

Henkz Sall replied on Tue, 2013/06/04 - 1:07pm

today's article was very helpful to me bbom

Junio Mousull replied on Thu, 2013/06/06 - 9:35am

Stumbling on Happiness – Daniel Gilbert. This better reference. See more in acompanhantes são paulo and acompanhantes de sp

Henkz Sall replied on Thu, 2013/07/04 - 7:34pm

The Adobe CQ Multilingual Content Intelligence Special Interest Group (SIG) continues to grow…and we’d love for you to join us. Thanks bbom

Henkz Sall replied on Mon, 2013/07/15 - 7:26pm

Hack code is either the opposite in some way(s) or lacks at least some of the above positive features. The greater the lack or the more egregious the violation of the above principles, the more the code deserves the term "hack". Some hey? I see net

Kenneth Leong replied on Mon, 2013/07/29 - 3:06am in response to: Badan Singh

Nice one!

Henkz Sall replied on Tue, 2013/07/30 - 5:12pm

There are a lot of scripts we have seen and sure you too would have seen them chaveiros personalizados

Henkz Sall replied on Sat, 2013/08/03 - 9:50pm

This article was adapted from Joshua Brown's new book, acompanhantes em sp, Who to Run From, and How to Maximize Your Investments.

Henkz Sall replied on Tue, 2013/08/27 - 2:52pm

I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles acompanhantes de sp

Henkz Sall replied on Tue, 2013/08/27 - 5:04pm

I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles acompanhantes em são Paulo

Carolina Alves replied on Thu, 2013/08/29 - 12:26pm

This is something really interesiting. I was looking for something different but seo related and I found this article which of course is worth to try.
Thanks for sharing

Carolina Alves replied on Fri, 2013/08/30 - 9:54am

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it ! Thanks, very good. We are really happy just for this post in this website.

Henkz Sall replied on Tue, 2013/09/03 - 7:57pm

I could never take my eyes off of him Camera Espiã

Teraru Tama Teraru replied on Fri, 2013/09/13 - 11:12am

That is my first time i am going post. I collected so many attention-grabbing issues in your web site especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts

cara menurunkan berat badan
cara mengecilkan lengan
cara mengecilkan perut bucit

Angela Peterson replied on Thu, 2013/09/19 - 9:28pm

I love reading books..Especially if it's about fitness.

Angela Peterson replied on Thu, 2013/09/19 - 9:30pm

Peter Jonh replied on Wed, 2013/09/25 - 3:21am

Superb information. I got lucky and found your site from a random Google search. Fortunately for me, this topic just happens to be something that I’ve been trying to find more info on for research purpose.

Gold coast fishing charters

Rodrigo Rafael replied on Wed, 2013/09/25 - 9:39am in response to: Junio Mousull

The Adobe CQ Multilingual Content Intelligence Special Interest Group (SIG) continues to grow…and we’d love for you to join us. Thanks renda extra  multinivel up essencia

Mridul Jain replied on Thu, 2013/09/26 - 12:00am in response to: Junio Mousull

i love to read good to great.Located at Shenton Way, the Central Business District of Singapore, is a office cum residential development named V on Shenton  (Five on
Shenton). Proudly designed by world renowned Architecture firm
UNStudio. It's within walking distance to several MRT Stations, Marina
Bay Downtown and the famed Marina Bay Sands Singapore.

Loris Smith replied on Thu, 2013/09/26 - 1:03am

This edition has been edited to include the most popular anatomical and pathological subjects, 14 new charts have been added, and 20 charts have been updated. Ideal for studying human anatomy, patient consultation, or quick reference, this truly is one of the most comprehensive and attractive compilations of charts on the market.
step up herbal body growth

Loris Smith replied on Thu, 2013/09/26 - 1:51am

V on Shenton
Marco Jongen, director of integrated web and application services at DSM, says, “Adobe CQ is more than a web content authoring system for us—it is an essential business tool that makes it possible for sales and marketing to contribute more value to the entire organization.”

Mari Del replied on Tue, 2013/10/08 - 9:14am

Rodrigo Rafael replied on Sun, 2013/10/13 - 12:36pm

Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. up essencias

Teriharrington1... replied on Tue, 2013/10/15 - 1:19am

You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site incentive spirometry copd

Mari Del replied on Tue, 2013/10/15 - 9:28am

Just loved all of the tips you have so lovingly spelled out for us (your on line family). A big Thanks for that. I would definitely take these in mind.

Kevin Walker replied on Sat, 2013/10/19 - 8:37pm

My favorite book is Stumbling on Happiness – Daniel Gilbert. Jogos de Sinuca . I also read The Fractal Organization - Patrick Hoverstadt, but I did not like.Thanks for your list. I liked.