Performance Zone is brought to you in partnership with:

Allen is a published fiction and non-fiction writer working on his second novel. He currently resides in Hanoi, Vietnam where he is traveling around SE Asia. He is an avid reader and lifelong geek interested in fiction, philosophy, and technology. Allen is a DZone Zone Leader and has posted 284 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Dev of the Week: Lukas Eder

09.18.2013
| 15496 views |
  • submit to reddit
Every week here and in our newsletter, we feature a new developer/blogger from the DZone community to catch up and find out what he or she is working on now and what's coming next. This week we're talking to Lukas Eder, creator of jOOQ, a SQL library for Java; and Founder/CEO of Data Geekery. Some of his latest posts include:



Thanks for talking to us! What have you been working on lately?

I have been starting to make a business out of jOOQ through my company, Data Geekery.

You created jOOQ, a SQL library for Java. What was the inspiration for and what was the development process like for jOOQ?

Since first working with Java in around 2003, I have felt that those people who like to write SQL aren't given proper tooling or language integration. I have lived through plain JDBC, EJB 2.0, JDO, Hibernate, EJB 3.2, and yet I still think that 30 percent of the Java market doesn't have the tooling they deserve. That 30 percent of the market doesn't want complete SQL abstraction.

JEE has moved away from SQL as a language, adding more and more abstraction. At the same time, SQL has evolved a lot, into a very powerful language. jOOQ is currently the only software in the Java market that strives to fully embrace embedded SQL as a first-class citizen.

Are there any particular developer tools or resources you couldn't live without?

Yes. Eclipse, Stack Overflow, DZone, GitHub.

Do you have a favorite open source project (or projects) that you've contributed to recently?

I've been very busy with my own, but I enjoyed contributing to Apache Jackrabbit and Apache Sling when I worked for Adobe.

Do you follow any blogs or Twitter feeds that you would recommend to developers?

I like DZone and Tech.Pro aggregations.

Did you have a coding first love -- a particular program, gadget, game, or language that set you on the path to life as a developer?

QBasic! Bill Gates must've known how to create a whole generation of programmers!
I think I was around 12 years old when I wrote a chat program to chat with my dad across a direct cable connection on the serial ports of our 80286s.

Anything else you'd like to mention?

Creating a company around the project that has filled me with passion for the last four years has to be the best decision of my life. Ever since, I've met so many interesting people doing interesting things, inspiring me, letting me inspire them. I hope this intro about me will convince at least one or two other developers out there to pursue their dreams.

Thanks, Lukas!

Check out Lukas' blog and Twitter




Comments

Christophe Blin replied on Wed, 2013/09/18 - 9:02am

"jOOQ is currently the only software in the Java market that strives to fully embrace embedded SQL as a first-class citizen."

QueryDsl, IciQl and others are also embracing SQL.

In scala, slick and others like anorm are also doing the same.

That said, these tools are very welcomed since we, jee devs, have long forgotten about SQL :)

That also being said, do not ditch hibernate and other JPA tools : correctly used, they allow great productivity boost

Lukas Eder replied on Wed, 2013/09/18 - 9:52am in response to: Christophe Blin

I am aware of competing SQL-centric products, but I do not believe that they cover as much SQL grounds as jOOQ. An example showing what I mean:

http://blog.jooq.org/2013/05/03/sql-query-transformation-fun-predicates-with-row-value-expressions.

SLICK is interesting and gets a lot of traction by being compared to LINQ, as it nicely embeds with the Scala language. But again, I do not think that this works in favour of "embracing SQL as a language", because the language is mapped in a way that creates new impedance mismatches. Here's some insight on that:

http://www.jooq.org/doc/3.1/manual/preface

Finally, do not get me wrong. I mentioned that 30% of the market are lacking appropriate SQL tooling, and I am really talking about "SQL". For the remaining 70%, JPA works just perfectly. And then, there are some JPA folks, who would like to combine using JPA and jOOQ. There's nothing wrong with that. Again, I have a link to illustrate this :-)

http://www.hibernate-alternative.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.