The Nine Transformative Aspects of the Technical Debt Metric
- The technical debt metric enables Continuous Inspection of the code through ultra-rapid feedback to the software process (see Figure 1 below).
- It shifts the emphasis in software development from proficiency in the software process to the output of the process.
- It changes the playing fields from qualitative assessment to quantitative measurement of the quality of the software.
- It is an effective antidote to the relentless function/feature pressure.
- It can be used with any software method, not “just” Agile.
- It is applicable to any amount of code.
- It can be applied at anypoint in time in the software life-cycle.
- These seven characteristics of the technical debt metric enable effective governance of the software process.
- The above characteristics of the technical debt metric enable effective governance of the software product portfolio.
Figure 1: Continuous Inspection
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)